Despite its small town atmosphere, Cresson offers railfans many things they expect in a larger places. There are four restaurants within walking distance where you can watch trains while eating. Also within walking distance are two convenience stores which have 24 hour food service and gasoline.
Two blocks from the Inn, The Heritage Park observation platform provides a track-level view of the mainline and a close-up view of the Cresson engine terminal. You will not wait very long for a train in Cresson; at least seventy trains and countless helper moves rumble past our front door daily.
Dragging equipment detectors and trackside signals provide ample warning of approaching trains. There are dozens of nearby public areas which offer photo opportunities NOT on RR property.
The Station Inn is a member of the PA Mid-State B&B Association. The Inn is one of forty PA Mid-State B&B members who invite you to visit Central PA and the State College region. For more, click on the MID-STATE logo at the bottom left of this page.
Mileage from The Inn to other area attractions:
|Horseshoe Curve National Historic Landmark||10||814-941-7960|
|Gallitzin Tunnels Park||3||814-886-8871|
|Altoona Railroaders Memorial Museum||15||888-425-8666|
|Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site||3||814-886-6150|
|Johnstown Flood National Memorial||20||814-495-9614|
|Johnstown Flood Museum||17||888-222-1889|
|Potomac Eagle Scenic Railroad||95||304-424-0736|
|Rock Hill Trolley Museum||60||814-447-9576|
|Western Maryland Scenic RR||70||800-872-4650|
|Sand Patch – CSX Railfanning||65|
|Seldom Seen Mine||25||800-237-8590|
|Railfan Motels OTHER neat places to stay: http://www.RailfanMotels.com|
For Visitors Guides call Johnstown Visitors Bureau at 800-237-8590, Altoona Visitors Bureau..800-842-586
Necessities and Conveniences in & near Cresson
– All within Walking Distance -
ATM MACHINES Summit Bank on Corner ….. Sheetz ….. Vito’s
WET GOODS Wine & Spirits Shop … 3 min walk ………. or……….BEER, 3 min walk to R-Beer House
NEWSPAPERS New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, D.C., USA Today, WSJ at Sheetz
* = within walking distance…… # = trackside view
Many of these restaurants offer our guests a 10% discount, be sure to inquire.
- VITO’S* #Neighborhood Italian, Pizza, Subs, Station Inn discount
- DUNNY’S, 2nd St. Cresson* Pizza, Sandwiches, Soda, Beer, Station Inn discount
- SHEEHAN’S SUBWAY, SHEETZ, both on 2nd St. Cresson*… 24hr take out
- THE WINE CELLAR ***, 338W.Chestnut, Gallitzin ..Italian
- MIDWAY *** 146 W St. Thomas, Gallitzin.. Great lunches, good prices
- ***View these places on our youtube video
- CRESSON SPRING* # Family Style, Station Inn discount
- PJ’S Adm. Peary Hwy, Cresson..Pizza, burgers, sandwiches, meals
- ROUTE 53 DINER, 2nd St. Cresson*, Station Inn discount
- FOX’S PIZZA DEN, 2nd St. Cresson*
- THE IRON HORSE *** 606 Jackson St, Gallitzin, Near Gallitzin Tunnels